Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Communion

Communion is a practice that is meant to be observed over and over throughout the life of a Christian. It is a holy time of worship when we come together as one body to remember and celebrate whta Christ did for us. The bread and the wine become the actual body and blood of Christ in remembrance of his enduring sacrifice.

Scriptures Associated with Communion:
-And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you." Luke 22:19-20
-While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." Matthew 26:26-28

For more information:
http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/whatiscommunion.htm

8 comments:

a_random_guy said...

Interesting. I'm a little bit confused as too how one decides which bread and which whine is too be used for communion. I would think it would not be ordinary store bought bread, as it seems such fare is not sufficient to represent the body and blood of Jesus.

Jeff said...

I like your inclusion of the scripture readings that relate to Passover when Jesus and his disciples took communion, since my pastor uses the same reading when we do communion.

Grace said...

I like how every type of christianity can relate and be apart of communion. It's interesting because it is something each church has in common. In the Eastern Orthodox faith, there are three types of commuion.

Sara said...

I think it is very interesting how this is so closely related to Catholic and Eastern Orthodox.

Eduardo said...

I agree with Sara these 3 religions are very similar to one another.

Rusty Derrick said...

I think that it is very interesting that this religion believes that the bread and wine turn into the actual body of Christ. I like the blog also.

Caroline G said...

I think that it's really interesting how each section of Christianity does communion, but they all do it a little differently.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.